|Macaroni and Cheese and Beef Hotlinks
with Cranberry Sauce
Now it Can be Told.
Shortly after our marriage, The Little Woman whipped up macaroni and
cheese for dinner. Not knowing that this was one of her signature
dishes, I commented that it was almost as good as Kraft’s.
She hasn't’t made it since!
I chortle now at my former insensitivity.
However, my blundered comment had as its basis the fact that I have
consumed a ton of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. It is a staple of
One evening in my bachelor years, also known as my empty fridge and
no pantry era, I whipped up M&C while looking for something more to
eat. There were, as I recall, two cans on the counter of my efficiency
apartment galley. One was soup and the other was whole cranberry
sauce. M&C and soup was not a go, definitely. I knew that.
M&C and whole cranberry sauce? Well, it was that or go out again
for a hamburger.
Culinary history was made that night!
Now it can be told, GeezerGourmet.com was created to urge you to try
Kraft M&C with a side of Ocean Spray Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce.
My signature dish since 1965.
It gets better. Ever pushing the boundaries of the culinary arts, I discovered
years later that a beef hot link or two also worked well
with M&C. Hot dogs—and I love em—do not
compliment M&C, only beef hot links work here.
So, after years of research and testing we have:
Macaroni and Cheese and Beef Hot Links with Cranberry Sauce
Yield: 2 servings
See Abbreviations, if needed
beef hot link (Hillshire Farms is one producer)
box Kraft Macaroni and Cheese
· 2T butter
milk (2% works best)
· 1 can (16oz) Ocean Spray Whole
Berry Cranberry Sauce
1. Slice hot link into ¼ inch rounds
· Place in broiler pan and broil, or
sauté them, to golden brown, not crisp
· Place hot link rounds on paper towel
to draw off excess fat
· Set rounds aside and keep warm
2. Prepare the M&C according to the package with the following
· Substitute butter for margarine
· Use only 2T of butter or a little less
(not 1/4 cup as specified on the package)
3. Add hot link rounds to the M&C after all has been mixed
4. If necessary, allow 1-2 minutes on the stovetop burner, stirring,
to reheat the hot
link rounds with the M&C
5. Serve with cranberry sauce on the side. (You will have some
sauce left over)