|Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
Bob Nueske makes some of the best bacon on the planet. His pepper
coated apple smoked bacon has been our preference for ten years.
We order it on the Net (nueske.com) and it's shipped to us in an insulated
box. It freezes well.
With two summer grill dinners on our schedule this month, The Little
Woman wanted an appetizer that would do something with the monster mushrooms
available at the farmers' market. Along comes a new box of bacon
with a few recipes thrown in. TLW put these stuffed mushrooms together
in a few minutes and the crowd loved them. She will do it again next
week and we'll take a photo.
Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
See Abbreviations, if needed
6 slices of bacon
10 large mushrooms
3oz cream cheese, ambient
1/4C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1t pureed garlic (not
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Cut each slice of bacon into bite-sized rectangles about 1/2"
across (called lardons)
3. Fry the bacon lardons until medium crisp, scoop them out of
the pan and onto paper toweling and set aside
4. Brush dirt off the mushrooms, remove the stems and clean the
"gills" out of each interior
5. Combine cream cheese, cheddar and garlic and then fold in
the bacon lardons
6. Fill each mushroom cap to overflowing
7. Bake in the oven, on a sheet pan, for 30 minutes
8. Let cool a few minutes and serve immediately
Copyright (C) 2006The Geezergourmet.com. All rights reserved.
Website by GRAPHiNEX