Now it Can be Told.
Shortly after our marriage, The Little Woman whipped up macaroni and
cheese for dinner. Not knowing that this was one of her signature dishes, I commented that it was almost as good as Krafts.
She hasn’tt made it since!
I chortle now at my former insensitivity.
However, my blundered comment had as its basis the fact that I have consumed a ton of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. It is a staple of life.
One evening in my bachelor years, also known as my empty fridge and no pantry era, I whipped up M&C while looking for something more to eat. There were, as I recall, two cans on the counter of my efficiency apartment galley. One was soup and the other was whole cranberry sauce. M&C and soup was not a go, definitely. I knew that. M&C and whole cranberry sauce? Well, it was that or go out again for a hamburger.
Culinary history was made that night!
Now it can be told, GeezerGourmet.com was created to urge you to try Kraft M&C with a side of Ocean Spray Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce. My signature dish since 1965.
It gets better. Ever pushing the boundaries of the culinary arts, I discovered
years later that a beef hot link or two also worked well with M&C. Hot dogsand I love emdo not compliment M&C, only beef hot links work here. So, after years of research and testing we have:
Macaroni and Cheese and Beef Hot Links with Cranberry Sauce
Yield: 2 servings
See Abbreviations, if needed
· 1 beef hot link (Hillshire Farms is one producer)
· 1 box Kraft Macaroni and Cheese
· 2T butter
· ¼C milk (2% works best)
· 1 can (16oz) Ocean Spray Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
1. Slice hot link into ¼ inch rounds
· Place in broiler pan and broil, or sauté them, to golden brown, not crisp
· Place hot link rounds on paper towel to draw off excess fat
· Set rounds aside and keep warm
2. Prepare the M&C according to the package with the following
· Substitute butter for margarine
· Use only 2T of butter or a little less (not 1/4 cup as specified on the package)
3. Add hot link rounds to the M&C after all has been mixed
4. If necessary, allow 1-2 minutes on the stovetop burner, stirring,
to reheat the hot link rounds with the M&C
5. Serve with cranberry sauce on the side. (You will have some
sauce left over)